Monday, March 23, 2009

President Obama Invited to Give Commencement Address at Notre Dame; Catholics Respond to the Scandal [UPDATED]

Courtesy of Zach Brisset at In Toon With the World


Chris Blosser has more on the Catholic reaction to the goings on at Our Lady's University at Catholics in the Public Square.


UPDATE




UPDATE #2
Creative Minority Report: "Jeer Jeer For Old Notre Shame"

National Review Online Symposium: "A Moral Exemplar?"

Amy Welborn: "What's the Argument for Obama at Notre Dame?"


UPDATE #3 (24 March)
I admit to having my own political biases, but to the extent my Faith conflicts with my political beliefs, I honestly try my best to conform said political views to my Faith. Not vice-versa. So, I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to be lectured on "consistency" by this hypocrite.

I've spent the last 4 years on this blog criticizing BOTH Republicans and Democrats for where they fall short of Catholic teaching, including decrying conservatives and Republicans for war, torture, the death penalty, anti-immigrant sentiments, bad judicial nominations, not fighting for good judicial nominations, tepid support for the pro-life agenda, inconsistency in opposing ALL abortions, support for ESCR, etc., etc. And just last year, I gave kudos to Notre Dame for honoring Martin Sheen with its 2008 Laetare Medal; despite my political differences with Mr. Sheen, I had no problem describing him as a "pro-lifer" worthy of such an honor.

Meanwhile, Morning's Minion hasn't met a single pro-life conservative for whom he's willing to express even some grudging appreciation, or a Democrat anti-life measure that he's not willing to excuse or deflect attention away from by changing the subject to something on which he finds his political opponents even more repugnant (as if there is anything more repugnant than the pro-abortion dogma of the left).

So, Tony A, when it comes to "consistency", you might want to start looking at yourself, as well as begin paying attention to what others are actually doing and saying rather than what you want to believe or imagine they're doing and saying. And for once, you hypocrite, offer a strong, unequivocal denunciation of the anti-life policies of your political allies that isn't couched in the oh-so-unimaginitive tu quoque schoolyard nonsense of deflecting attention to the shortcomings of your adversaries.


UPDATE #4 (26 March)
Dale Price offers his "Brief thoughts on Notre Dame's commencement speaker":
... What in [Obama's] background gives you the impression that he gives the slightest shit what pro-lifers think? The man thought giving medical care to infants born during botched abortions was a threat to the Constitution, for the love of God.

Since he entered office, his idea of dialogue on life issues has boiled down to "I won." He gave the brushoff to pro-life members of his own party and made sure that only pro-aborts are being consulted on health policy issues. His speech authorizing destructive embryonic stem cell research was larded with contempt for those in opposition. Call me crazy, but I don't think giving him free publicity and the chance to do the grip 'n' grin with a bunch of star-struck Domers eager to look past his record is going to move the ball in our direction.

He's not interested in dialogue--he's interested in cultivating the appearance of being interested in dialogue. Which ND's commencement will do wonders for, and which he will exploit for all it's worth, politically.

So, the University "hopes" for the basis of an engagement with the President, eh? Well, I suppose a hooker can hope for a cuddle after giving a blow job, too, President Jenkins. If you really think this can be the start of something meaningful, you are going to suffer the same disappointment as the working girl once the transaction is over.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At 3/24/2009 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! It needed saying!

 
At 3/24/2009 3:55 PM, Blogger samrocha said...

If this were a serious argument, then, I think you may have something in this tussle. Sadly, it is not. Retributive arguments over consistency don't strike me as particularly good ones, but, your polemics here are same, at best, and, sadly, probably worse. The "I'll be damned" is also a bit dramatic and makes you look silly(ier).

 
At 3/24/2009 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good test is asking, "is this person interacting with the points about the issue at hand, or just about the ones making the points and their supposed motives?" If the latter, do like in "The Quiet Man": write their name down and "strike a line through it".

 
At 3/24/2009 4:18 PM, Blogger samrocha said...

You did, however, push me to write about this subject (and I linked you to it).

Here it is:

http://rimatara.blogspot.com/2009/03/obama-at-notre-dame-why-not.html

 
At 3/24/2009 4:30 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

"... makes you look silly(ier) ..."

So be it. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

 
At 3/24/2009 4:45 PM, Blogger DP said...

One who talks about still having the bad taste in his mouth from "puking" over Raymond Arroyo getting an honorary degree probably isn't in the best position to lecture about dramatics.

Just sayin'.

Good post, Jay.

 
At 3/24/2009 4:59 PM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

It seems to me that the question to ask about Morning's Minion is,

"Is there anything President Obama might do that would cost him the support of Morning's Minion?"

I really doubt it.

 
At 3/24/2009 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Is there anything President Obama might do that would cost him the support of Morning's Minion?"

I think if Obama took out a gun and killed a bystander, Obama's Minion would find a way to blame the GOP's gun control policies for the slaying.

 
At 3/24/2009 6:37 PM, Blogger CourageMan said...

"Is there anything President Obama might do that would cost him the support of Morning's Minion"

Become a Republican.

 
At 3/25/2009 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't quit Jay, whatever you do. You are right on with your comments. Deflecting criticism from the left is easy. Just consider the source.
To envision how the US could look at the end of the obama administration, think Columbia, VA on a massive scale. We can't afford that and need everyone to stand up for what is right. Not one step backwards. The only thing that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. You are a good man. Keep up the fight.

 
At 3/25/2009 9:35 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

To envision how the US could look at the end of the obama administration, think Columbia, VA on a massive scale."

So what are you saying about my leadership as Mayor of Columbia? Are you saying that, if given a chance, Obama will screw up America as bad as I screwed up Columbia? And I thought you were trying to give me a compliment.

;-)

 
At 3/25/2009 2:38 PM, Blogger samrocha said...

The fight? Against the "left"? Wow. Touche on my own sense of drama, but the ability to think outside the paradigmatic frames of fighting inside the US political aisles would serve many people posting here well... I happen to think that this does not apply tot he author of this post, who, unlike other archives I have perused, seems to just like to pretend to be a typical US rightest at times. Oh well, I guess we all fall victim to caricature from time to time...

 
At 3/25/2009 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche on my own sense of drama, but the ability to think outside the paradigmatic frames of fighting inside the US political aisles would serve many people posting here well...

Care to clarify to those who don't speak "I've just suffered a severe brain trauma?"

 
At 3/25/2009 3:16 PM, Blogger samrocha said...

Sorry, Paul. I don't typically enjoy engaging in dialogue with those who open remarks with an insult--especially in a Catholic forum. However, my prose was a monstrosity, but, not incoherent. Here it is in not so many words: There is nothing that requires this issue to be a matter of right vs. left war tactics. Get over those simplistic attitudes and, then, we can resume things with a measure of sanity (not to mention charity).

 
At 3/25/2009 6:21 PM, Blogger samrocha said...

PS: In a fit of childish irony, I must note that you (Paul) might want to check your eye on this one too. After all, "I've just suffered a severe brain trauma?" is not exactly lucid verse.

You might have been better poised to aim your insult directly at me--that is, without pointing your literary gun at yourself--and put it within a more appealing phrase like: "Care to clarify to those who don't speak I've-just-suffered-severe-brain-trauma-ese?"

Just a thought...

 
At 3/25/2009 6:30 PM, Blogger samrocha said...

One final thought (my apologies for hogging the comments). I hope that I am not confused to be in favor of this commencement address, I am against it. My reasons, however, are a bit different than the ones here. But, in a purely consequential analysis, I too think its a bad idea. So, snipers and name-callers should at least know what their target looks like...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger