Saturday, August 30, 2008

Quote of the Day: Karen Hall on "Big City Bigots"

(Hat tip: Creative Minority Report)

Karen Hall at Some Have Hats writes:

I just watched an Obama Camp spokeswoman explain, with a look on her face like she just stepped in a cowpile, that Palin's only experience is that she has been a "part-time mayor of a town with a population of under 9,000."

Gratefully, the reporter interviewing her pointed out that when Palin was working in such a meager position, Obama was a "community organizer" in Chicago. (And if Obama has experience running anything more complicated than his sock drawer, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what it was.)

I'd just like to say, as a person who grew up in a town of 1,200 and was raised by the Vice-Mayor: Obama's elitist, condescending, small-town-bashing bigots can kiss my ignorant, gun-toting, Bible-clutching @ss.

I have a feeling that a lot of people living in small towns across America feel the same way, and then some. And correct me if I'm wrong (I'm only from a town of 1,200, you know) but aren't there a LOT of those small towns? And with the polls so close, does it really make sense for the Obama camp to keep insulting the people who live in them?

I don't know. I reckon I gotta git one of them smart people from the big city to 'splain it to me.
(emphasis added)

My Comments:
And as someone who grew up in a town of roughly 1,600, served as Mayor of a town of about 50, and currently resides in a small city of about 16,000, I'd just like to concur with Karen's sentiment.

The condescending elitists who are so dismissive of us "bitter" small-town folks who "cling" to God and guns will just never learn.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Obama Delegate Admits the Obvious: "Bitter" Was Indeed a Big Deal

What Obama Really Meant Was "They're Nuts"

Obama Disses Blue Collar Voters Again: Says They "Cling to Guns or Religion" Because They Are "Bitter" [UPDATED]

Obama's Problems in Pennsylvania Mirror His Problems in Ohio

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 8/30/2008 2:29 AM, Blogger Christopher Blosser said...

The condescending elitists who are so dismissive of us "bitter" small-town folks who "cling" to God and guns will just never learn.

Lord willing, come election day ...

 
At 8/30/2008 3:11 AM, Blogger Tito Edwards said...

I grew up in a small town of 1200 people on an island of only 20,000 people in the middle of the Pacific 3000 miles away from the continental 48 states.

Barack Obama is an elitist to the bone. I grew up in Hawaii, I know the high school he attended, Punahou. It is argueably the best prep school in America. Yes, better than those elitist New England schools such as Andover. They hand out football scholarships, they have a retractable olympic size swimming pool that goes underneath their basketball arena. And this was back in the 80's while I was growing up.

The unofficial state motto of Hawaii is that "it is every parents dream to send their kids to Punahou".

These guys have the smartest, the most talented, and the most well funded academic facilities in the country.

Don't tell me that Obama isn't an elitist.

Even my friends from Punahou say it IS an elitist prep school.

Obama is a damn hapa-popolo that doesn't know when to shut his kanaka mouth.

Anyone who grew up in Hawaii would know exactly what I said.

Signed,

A bitter, Bible-clinging portagee hapa-ha'ole.

 
At 8/30/2008 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine texted that he thought that Gov Palin sounded "silly". I don't know precisely what he meant (perhaps he was referring just to the accent, ha): but, apart from elation, my first reaction yesterday was that she certainly doesn't sound like the usual culprits who populate the newsrooms and cable networks' talking boxes on the coasts and those people will be prejudiced against her from the start; so much for the great gods Tolerance and Multiculturalism, eh.

(My first foray into politics was in Oxford, OH, population perhaps 10K back then, working for a lady who ran for town council; a 'reformist' agenda connected with sewerage pipes (I don't really recall). Nobody paid me, nor even loaned me a car.

 
At 8/30/2008 9:53 AM, Blogger Terry said...

9,000. Isn't that roughly the number of votes the Democratic VP nominee won in the primary, total?

 
At 8/31/2008 11:58 PM, Blogger LargeBill said...

"A friend of mine texted that he thought that Gov Palin sounded "silly". "

Maybe what your friend didn't realize is she sounds like what she is: a citizen working in government rather than the career politicians that believes they are a ruling class that we have grown used to. Too many stink'n politicians think it is a career. All politics should be part time jobs for people with real lives outside D.C.

 
At 9/01/2008 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Vice President Palin will find a way to be in DC only 'part time', as it were, to emphasise Largebill's point; although I don't see how that would work, myself.

My friend, by the way, did in fact mean that she doesn't sound like a professional politician.

He lives in... DC.

 
At 9/02/2008 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in the small city of St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, and we "Newfies" were regarded by the "mainlanders" from Toronto as hicks and rubes who "talked funny". That kind of attitude still exists. However, our most recent Commander in Chief of the Canadian Forces is a Newfoundlander, and many more of us are notable in many fields, such as the arts, education, and politics. So I'm well acquainted with that kind of snobbish attitude demonstrated toward Gov. Palin. She comes from a similar environment to mine -- fishing was a principal industry in Newfoundland for many years, for example. The whole thing reminds me of the comment in the Gospels, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Well, we all know the answer to that. Just because someone comes from a rural environment, a small town, or a poor neighbourhood doesn't automatically exclude them from being intelligent, holy, classy, or any other good thing. Abraham Lincoln came from a dirt-poor family -- and of course he was mocked for his "hick" ways all through his life. That didn't prevent him from being a great President. I say, give Sarah Palin a chance -- even though I can't vote for her (being a Canadian and all), I'm intrigued that she was chosen as the GOP's VP nominee. She's different, and as we say here in Quebec, "Vive la difference!" Good luck to her.

Patricia Gonzalez
Hudson, Quebec

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger