Monday, July 28, 2008

Columnist Robert Novak Hospitalized; Diagnosed With Brain Tumor

Sad news about yet another Catholic journalist. Columnist Robert Novak, a Catholic convert, has been diagnosed with a brain tumor:
Robert Novak was admitted yesterday to a Boston hospital where he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. In a written statement given to his publisher, Novak said:

“On Sunday, July 27, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I have been admitted to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where doctors will soon begin appropriate treatment.

“I will be suspending my journalistic work for an indefinite but, God willing, not too lengthy period.”


[More]
My Comments:
Prayers for a speedy recovery. We've already lost 2 of my favorite Catholic journalists this year; I don't want to see it happen to a 3rd.


UPDATE

Here's more from Novak's employer, The Chicago Sun-Times.

(Hat tip: Ed Morrissey, who wonders what the reaction will be from the "compassionate" left)

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 7/28/2008 12:51 PM, Blogger Tito Edwards said...

He's got my prayers.

 
At 7/28/2008 4:54 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

On behalf of my fellow members of the "compassionate" left, I offer my prayers for Mr. Novak. Our faith is bigger than policy and political differences. Mr. Novak came to know Christ late in life, and that same Christ now stands with him, ready to offer him strength and comfort during his current trials.

May St. Francis de Sales, patron of journalists, look kindly towards him and intercede for him with the our Lord.

 
At 7/28/2008 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers for "The Prince of Darkness". Novak, in all his cranky glory, is an original and the nation would be the poorer if he were not on the scene.

 
At 7/29/2008 11:31 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

If there was some concern that the "left" or "libreals" would be engaging in some of the lack of charity that some conservatives exhibited following the annoucement of the sad news about Senator Kennedy, we also have today's editorial from the Washington Post to relieve any such fears.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/28/AR2008072802476.html

 
At 7/29/2008 11:50 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

"If there was some concern that the "left" or "libreals" would be engaging in some of the lack of charity that some conservatives exhibited following the annoucement of the sad news about Senator Kennedy"

Oh, please, Katherine. Don't insult us with such nonsense. There were perhaps a few Kennedy haters that engaged in monstrous behavior, but all we have to do is look at the viciousness that greeted the death of Tony Snow by those on the left to see how "compassion" works as a one-way street for our "enlightened" betters.


"we also have today's editorial from the Washington Post to relieve any such fears."

Yeah, I'm sure it can't be good for the Post that one of their token conservatives is now missing from their Op/Ed page.

 
At 7/29/2008 11:57 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

The point being that Morrisey didn't raise his concern without good cause for doing so.

Besides, I saw plenty of conservatives admonishing those who attacked Kennedy; I saw NO ONE on the left willing to lift one finger in opposition to those hurling invective at Snow.

And finally, I'm glad you're willing to acknowledge that the Washington Post is part of the "left".

 
At 7/29/2008 1:05 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I saw NO ONE on the left willing to lift one finger in opposition to those hurling invective at Snow.

I didn't see any such statements regarding Snow but did make the same comments abouthis sad passing as I did about Mr. Novak's illness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger