Monday, March 24, 2008

Regular Guy Paul Announces Candidacy for Illinois State Representative


Our old friend Regular Guy Paul is throwing his pro-life hat into the ring:
... I am announcing today that I will be an independent candidate for the Illinois Legislature in the 62nd District. My name is Paul Mitchell, and I write the Thoughts of a Regular Guy blog [http://regularthoughts.blogspot.com/]. I am a pro-life conservative, a devout Roman Catholic, a veteran of service in the U.S. Air Force during the Cold War, a married man and father of four children, a college graduate with a degree in economics, a regular guy who commutes daily to a job in the city.

I will readily concede that I am not the typical or ideal political candidate. I have a three-year history of on-line opinions on my blog, which I intend to continue to make available on-line and to write. I am not rich, nor am I financially independent. I don't own my own business. I've never been involved in party politics. I don't have much money to run with. I'm not well-connected. I'm not especially good-looking. If you're a voter in the 62nd, I'm probably a lot like you.

I am pro-life. To say that life begins at conception is not a political statement, nor a statement of faith, nor a statement of opinion, but a matter of scientific fact on which there is virtually no credible scientific dissent. This is a fact with moral repercussions, the denial of which has caused great harm in our society. Rampant abortion, money wasted on the chimera of embryo-destructive stem cell research, research into human cloning, euthanasia, and a widespread attitude of disregard for the dignity and sanctity of human life are the necessary results of the assertion of a "right" to deny personhood in law to the unborn little girls and boys in our midst.

The foundational, elemental building-block of society is the family, not the individual. And the core of the family is the permanent union of a man and a woman, come together for mutual support and to engender and raise the next generation of citizens. The state has an undeniable interest in supporting and protecting the traditional family. But easy divorce and a culture of selfishness have seriously damaged the family, and activists bent on passing gay "marriage" in Illinois threaten to render the idea of marriage completely meaningless...


[More]
Best of luck, Paul!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 3/24/2008 10:37 AM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Thanks, buddy!

 
At 3/24/2008 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck against the Rino!

 
At 3/25/2008 12:29 PM, Blogger Tito Edwards said...

Go Paul, Go!

I'll be praying for a favorable election result for you.

Tito

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger