Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Santa Train Takes Kids to Victoria's Secret Store

Toddler attraction features lingerie display:
The kids' Santa train at the White Flint shopping mall in Bethesda, Md., is giving the tots an eyeful, taking them past a [Victoria's Secret] storefront display of "SEXY" lingerie, according to a consumer who complained to the shopping plaza's owners.

[More]
My Comments:
This reminds me of something that happened when we were visiting my folks in Texas last year over the Thanksgiving holiday. We took the kids to NorthPark Mall in Dallas to visit Santa (NorthPark is where my mother used to take me to visit Santa when I was a kid, and I always loved the mall's Christmas displays and decorations, so I wanted my kids to experience the same thing while we were in town).

When we got to the mall, my boys Jamie and Aidan started sprinting ahead of us toward where Santa was located. As they passed the Victoria's Secret store, Aidan - who was a little over a month short of his 3rd birthday at the time - came to a dead stop and stared at the window display (then-4-year-old Jamie was oblivious and kept running).

Obviously, the mall train in the linked story should take a different route, and we'll be more careful about which mall entrance we use the next time we take the kids to see Santa.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11/28/2007 12:07 PM, Blogger Bob the Ape said...

Which reminds me of the time at our local mall when my 8-year-old Storm Queen asked, "What is the point of Victoria's Secret anyway?"

I changed the subject.

 
At 11/28/2007 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 6 year old boy who can read quite well. I won't even shop with him at regular grocery stores because of what he'll read in the magazine headlines as we checkout (Mommy, what does XXX mean?), not to mention the images on those magazines. Malls are also verboten now. It's not just the victorias secrets that are scummy and trampy. Ugh.

Thanks for the blog, by the way!

chris

 
At 11/28/2007 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

White Flint is right by my house. No kids (this Christmas, ahem), but I think I'll avoid that madhouse anyway.

 
At 11/28/2007 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stipulating that Victoria's Secret is a filthy capitalist whore dedicated to producing whores of other sorts ...

Still I'm curious how exactly a 3- and 4-year-old (as distinguished from a 10- or 12-year-old) can be harmed by passing by a Victoria's Secret? Or to maybe put it less aggressively, what would a toddler "get" from VS? I certainly think I would have been more mystified than corrupted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger