Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Our Sacred Spaces

Carolina Cannonball has posted a tour of her home altars, and invites others to follow her example by posting photos of the sacred spots in their homes.

Now, I've always thought that one of the coolest aspects of being Catholic is all the "stuff". What some of my protestant relatives might consider "idolatry" is really a manifestation of the Incarnational aspect of our Faith. Christ redeemed creation, and that means "stuff" can be imbued with sacramental character. The "stuff" is also great for passing the Faith along to our children.

So, that being said, here are some photos of the Anderson family sacred spaces (with the exception of our Mary Garden, pictures of which - from May 2006 - you can find here):

Marian altar on top of the radiator in our library,
including a framed icon of Our Lady of Walsingham (top),
and (bottom L to R) statue of Our Lady of Walsingham, Immaculate
Heart of Mary devotional candle, and Russian icon "Virgin the Deliverer"


Marian Shrine in the entryway hall,
including statue of Virgin and Christ-child (which will be placed
in the Mary Garden the 1st Saturday of May and come back inside on 8 September),
framed artwork "The Virgin Enthroned", and another statue of Our Lady of Walsingham (top)


Detail of Marian Shrine:
Our Lady of Walsingham in shrine box
and Rosary from the Shrine of Our Lady
of Walsingham in England


In the library, various icons and depictions of the Virgin Mary,
St. Helena (Sarah's patroness and Confirmation saint),
and St. Columba (my patron and Confirmation saint)


Entryway hall: The Virgin intercedes with her Son (top),
Official portrait and prayer card of Pope John Paul II (bottom)


Entryway hall: a collection of Crosses

Entryway hall: Crucifix

Crucifix in our kitchen

The Holy Family watches over our kitchen table

Crucifix in the master bedroom

Crucifix above the door in the boys' bedroom

St. George over Jamie's bed
(Jamie was born on the Feast of St. George, 23 April)


Christ the Good Shepherd keeps watch over the boys' bedroom
(this belonged to my father, and I've had it ever since I was a little boy)


Glow-in-the-dark Crucifix in the nursery

St. Anthony and the Child Jesus in the nursery

Sacred Heart of Jesus in the nursery
(we need to find a more prominent place in the house for this)


Bloggers, if you have altars, shrines, or other sacred spaces in your home or in your yard or garden, why not share photos of these on your own blog?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3/27/2007 4:15 PM, Blogger The Crescat said...

Very nice! I love that statue of Mary in the entry hallway. I dont normally like statues either. I also think Madonna in the shrine box is very nice.

St. George is nice too. That is a great idea to have the saint whose feast day your child shares a birthday with in their room.. given me more ideas!

I totally forget to take pictures of Tom's room. He has 3 statues on the night stand, a san damiano crucifix over his bed and a picture of Marty & baby Jesus over his bed too.

 
At 3/27/2007 5:13 PM, Blogger Jeffrey Smith said...

You made my day. Wonderful things. Who did the picture of St. George? I haven't seen it before.
The garden gave me a shock. It looks so much like my Aunt Margaret's garden. I still remember every little detail of her house and land. Hard to believe she'd be 130 years old, now. Amazing.

 
At 3/27/2007 8:14 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I'm not sure who the artist of the St. George picture is. I'll see if I can find out. The print was a gift to me upon the birth of my son from an Anglophilic co-worker (who, incidentally, recently returned to the Church).

 
At 3/28/2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

I love Our Lady's Shrine. The statue and Our Lady of Walsingham are very beautiful!

 
At 2/09/2008 11:30 AM, Blogger Nadja said...

Oh, do please see if you can find the artist of the St. George! It's the nicest I've seen, and my 9 year-old daughter was also born on St. George.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger