Thursday, May 18, 2006

Feingold, Specter Clash Over Same-Sex "Marriage"

From Associated Press, via Yahoo:

WASHINGTON - A Senate committee approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage Thursday, after a shouting match that ended when one Democrat strode out and the Republican chairman bid him "good riddance."

"I don't need to be lectured by you. You are no more a protector of the Constitution than am I," Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., shouted after Sen. Russ Feingold declared his opposition to the amendment, his affinity for the Constitution and his intention to leave the meeting.

"If you want to leave, good riddance," Specter finished.

"I've enjoyed your lecture, too, Mr. Chairman," replied Feingold, D-Wis., who is considering a run for president in 2008. "See ya."

Amid increasing partisan tension over President Bush's judicial nominees and domestic wiretapping, the panel voted along party lines to send the constitutional amendment — which would prohibit states from recognizing same-sex marriages — to the full Senate, where it stands little chance of passing.

Democrats complained that bringing up the amendment is a purely political move designed to appeal to the GOP's conservative base in this year of midterm elections. Under the domed ceiling of the ornate and historic President's Room off the Senate floor, senators voted 10-8 to send the measure forward.


[More]
My Comments:
Before anyone starts to think ol' Arlen has shed his RINO skin, he still opposes the amendment, but thinks it should come before the full Senate for debate.

10 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never mentioned this before but Arlen is my uncle. That isn't a joke, either.

 
At 5/18/2006 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As in uncle uncle? As in the brother of one of your parents? Wow.

 
At 5/19/2006 7:01 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Guess I have to watch what I say about Snarlin' Arlen from now on.

 
At 5/19/2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Also, I find it ironic that Rhonda will claim kinship with the guy when he does something halfway honorable. Where has she been all this time Arlen has been a thorn in the conservative and pro-life side?
;)

 
At 5/19/2006 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Arlen has been a thorn in the conservative and pro-life side. I will admit that he can be a bit of an ass at times, though.

I haven't heard you talk about Arlen before, Jay. So, the situation hasn't presented itself until now to mention that Arlen is my uncle.
Don't get all mad at me for that.
:p

 
At 5/19/2006 8:47 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

"I don't think Arlen has been a thorn in the conservative and pro-life side."

You do realize that dear Uncle Arlen has introduced a bill to overturn the President's ban on embryonic stem cell research, don't you?

You do realize that dear Uncle Arlen played a key role in de-railing the Bork nomination, which led to the eventual nomination and confirmation of Anthony Kennedy, don't you? In other words, Roe v. Wade is still the "law of the land" today thanks in part to the efforts of dear Uncle Arlen.*

And that's just 2 instances off the top of my head where he has been a thorn in the side of pro-life conservatives.


*In dear Uncle Arlen's defense, he did play a key role in the confirmation of Clarence Thomas (a role for which he later stated regret, however).

 
At 5/19/2006 8:59 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Also, I must say that I've been impressed with Uncle Arlen's chairmanship of the Judiciary Committeee.

I lobbied HARD against him receiving said chairmanship. I called and emailed every Senator on the Committee, Sen. Frist, both Virginia Senators and both Ohio Senators. But to no avail.

So far, I am pleasantly surprised.

 
At 5/19/2006 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am shocked. But, quite honestly, I don't pay much attention to what "dear Uncle Arlen" does.

All I know is that at the worst he and his wife tend to be blowhards. Oh, and his wife is jealous of my dimples because she doesn't have any except on the back of her legs. She also hates the fact that I tower over her. She never wants to appear small in anyway.

Man, I sure hope they don't read this blog. :)

 
At 5/19/2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do realize that dear Uncle Arlen played a key role in de-railing the Bork nomination, which led to the eventual nomination and confirmation of Anthony Kennedy, don't you? In other words, Roe v. Wade is still the "law of the land" today thanks in part to the efforts of dear Uncle Arlen.*

And that's just 2 instances off the top of my head where he has been a thorn in the side of pro-life conservatives.


*In dear Uncle Arlen's defense, he did play a key role in the confirmation of Clarence Thomas (a role for which he later stated regret, however).


To be even fairer to Uncle Arlen, the Thomas confirmation was a lot closer than the Bork rejection.

 
At 5/19/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I almost forgot this one: Uncle Arlen is the one who nonsensically asserts that Roe v. Wade is some sort of "super-duper precedent".

He also relied on "Scottish law" in voting to acquit Clinton of perjury and obstruction of justice during the Clinton impeachment trial.

On the other hand, his take-down of the Swimmer during the Alito hearings was priceless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger