Friday, April 28, 2006

Vocations and Extended Family

From the Diocese of Toledo's vocations blog, Follow Me: Seeking to Find God in Everyday Experience:
Extended Family
April 26th, 2006
by Sr. Marilyn Marie Ellerbrock


Yesterday as I visited the funeral home for the mother of Bishop Leonard Blair I was reminded of one of the great gifts of our lifestyle as priests and sisters. I was privileged to be welcomed into the Blair family and experience this moment in their history in a unique way because of my ministry with Bishop Blair. And I was not alone. I watched as former parishioners and priests of the Archdiocese of Detroit came to pray and support the family. I also knew that a large number of priests and members of the Toledo Diocese had been there before us and more were still to come.

Certainly, our call to celibacy means that we don’t marry and have a biological family of our own. When I look at the lives impacted by Bishop Blair during his priestly ministry and the people he brings into relationship with his family, I thank God for the “extended family” that our lifestyle makes possible.

While I will not give physical birth to children, I’ve introduced my mother and other family members to so many people who are part of my life. Perhaps this is something of the “hundredfold” that Jesus promised: “Everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life” (Matt. 19: 29).
My Comments:
I was unaware of the passing of Bishop Blair's mother. My prayers and condolences go out to our Bishop. May his departed mother rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger