Monday, March 27, 2006

Tenure Denial as Revenge

A Baylor University graduate student, writing anonymously for The American Spectator as "Graduate Student X" notes that Professor Francis Beckwith's denial of tenure is rooted in revenge for former President Robert's Sloan's vision for Baylor's future known as "Baylor 2012":
Prior to last Friday, the famous pro-life philosopher Francis Beckwith was at the pinnacle of his career. His latest book had been accepted for publication by Cambridge University Press, one of the most prestigious academic publishers in the world. The deal with Cambridge was the capstone on several years of prolific publishing in an impressive variety of journals. In an academic world that is feared by many young faculty for its "publish or perish" reputation, Professor Beckwith had nothing to worry about. He'd published...and published...and published.

Tenure was surely a foregone conclusion. Or was it?

Last Friday, we found out just how ugly the politics of the university can get. Francis Beckwith received formal notification that his tenure had been denied by Baylor University. The word that came to the lips of everyone I spoke to on Friday and over the weekend was the same: injustice. Rank injustice.

When I first heard the news I experienced for the first time what is known as cognitive dissonance. I couldn't hold the two ideas in my mind. Professor Beckwith. Denied tenure. It was impossible to believe. There were people who told me it could happen, but I discounted the notion. After all, even political enemies have consciences, right? They have some commitment to integrity, don't they?

I'm a lot less naive about human nature today than I was on Friday morning. Now I understand why my conservative and Christian friends are so hesitant to write anything for publication using their real names. I've taken it up myself. Starting today.


[More]
My Comments:
Too busy hanging my head in shame at the 2nd-rate status of my alma mater to comment.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Ashamed of My Alma Mater - Baylor Denies Tenure to Dr. Francis J. Beckwith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger