Monday, February 27, 2006

Bill Introduced to "Stop Abortion in Ohio"

Father Martin Fox (who I am linking to for the 3rd time today) has a post about Ohio House Bill 228, which would outlaw abortion in the state of Ohio:

Some pro-life Ohio legislators have introduced a bill to prohibit abortions in this state. Click here to read the complete text of the proposed legislation (House Bill 228).

Please contact all of those representatives who have co-sponsored this bill and thank them for supporting the right to life. (Click
here for a sample message).

If your representative is not a co-sponsor, please
contact him or her and urge them to support HB 228. (Click here for a sample message).

Also, please contact your state senator asking him or her to support the introduction of a companion bill in the senate. (Click
here for a sample message).

ACTION ALERT! Contact Health Committee members

My Comments:
I still can't help but think that this is all a little premature, and could cause more harm than good (as I've detailed here and here). But - what the hell - I'm happy to get the word out for the pro-life cause.

I'm even going to send a copy of the flyer linked above to our church secretary for inclusion in our bulletin.

5 Comments:

At 2/28/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

It seems to me that if the South Dakota ban comes up to the Court, and a dozen or two dozen more states are all independently working on similar bans at the time, they may take the movement into account. Such momentum might be enough to shift someone like, say, Kennedy?

 
At 2/28/2006 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such momentum might be enough to shift someone like, say, Kennedy?

A person who bets on Kennedy voting to overturn Roe and said person's money are soon parted. The thing is that it would be great to have a flood of states passing abortion bans (or deep restrictions) after we replace another pro-Roe justice. That would tend to cement up Roberts, Alito, and Bush Justice #3. I really doubt that it will turn Kennedy when he's gushed so much about Roe already.

 
At 2/28/2006 4:29 PM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I'm not bettin', Publius, I'm hopin'.

Hell, recent budget negotiations with the Extraordinary Wife have concluded I can't even afford to play poker at Knights of Columbus meetings anymore, let alone bet on SCOTUS rulings.

I'd rather bet on the Fed than SCOTUS.

But I can hope.

 
At 2/28/2006 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not bettin', Publius, I'm hopin'.

All the states that are rushing to enact Roe-defying laws before there are five justices who have not already affirmed Roe on the court. Their betting the money (in the form of the court costs), the political capital, and the political momentum of the pro-life cause.

 
At 2/28/2006 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first sentence should have read: All the states that are rushing to enact Roe-defying laws before there are five justices who have not already affirmed Roe on the court most certainly are betting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger