Thursday, July 28, 2005

Michael Medved: Values Are Behind Liberal Hollywood's Box Office Blues

From Jewish World Review:
The standard entertainment industry reaction to Hollywood's box office slump reveals the same shallow, materialistic mindset that helped create the problem in the first place. The left-leaning thinking that dominates the movie business follows a common liberal instinct to deny the spiritual dimension to every problem, thereby profoundly compounding the difficulties.

***
USA TODAY ran a headline, "Where have all the moviegoers gone?" under which insiders discussed their desperate attempts to rebuild the shattered audience: "The lures include providing high-tech eye candy through 3-D digital projection and IMAX versions of movies. ... Stadium seating, which improves views, is just now becoming standard. Other theaters are opting for screenings that serve alcohol to patrons 21 and older."

Revealingly, none of the studio honchos talked about reconnecting with the public by adjusting the values conveyed by feature films, and replacing the industry's shrill liberal posturing with a more balanced ideological perspective.


[More]
My Comments:
Hollywood and the entertainment moguls just don't get it. My wife and I haven't been to the movies in years, apart from going to see "The Passion of the Christ" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. We'll probably go to see "The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe" when it comes out, so long as the reviews confirm that Disney didn't bollux it up.

In short, we're not paying upwards of $10 a piece to have our values insulted.

And I can't tell you how much it grates on me to be watching a program on the History Channel and see one of those public service announcements with some Hollywood leftist who regularly attacks my children with the filth he or she purveys asking me if I know what my kid did in school today. The day I need the entertainment industry to give me tips and pointers on how to raise my children is the day I hang it up as a father.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger