Thursday, May 19, 2005

Apparently, I'm a "Pro-Government Conservative" (at least according to Pew Research Center)

Hat tip: Amy Welborn

From the Pew Research Center for People and the Press:
"As part of the never-ending quest for political metaphors after the red-blue divide, the Pew Research Center for People and the Press has developed a nifty little online test in an attempt to give a snapshot of the basic political viewpoints in the land."
My Comments:
Below are my results (with some editorial commentary in red):
Pro-Government Conservative
Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Pro-Government Conservative typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues [Gee, I'd say].

Pro-Government Conservatives represent 9 percent of the American public, and 10 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description
Pro-Government Conservatives stand out for their strong religious faith and conservative views on many social and cultural issues [so far, so good]. They also express broad support for a social safety net ["broad" support? More like "some" support], which sets them apart from the other two core Republican groups. While backing George W. Bush by roughly six-to-one, this group has one of the lowest incomes levels in the typology [ummm ... I wish I made more money (who doesn't?), but I make a good living]. Pro-Government Conservatives are skeptical about the effectiveness of the marketplace [I believe strongly in free enterprise, but with some regulation where the market doesn't take important values into account - I will admit that I'm not the free market libertarian I used to be], favoring government regulation to protect the public interest, and government assistance for the needy [again, I favor some government regulation to protect important values ignored by free markets].

Defining Values
Religious, financially insecure, and favorable toward government programs [okay, I'm NOT financially insecure, but I am concerned that particular lifestyle choices - e.g., wife staying home to have more babies and sending my kids to Catholic school - are becoming more and more difficult; and I DON'T believe that the government should support these lifestyle choices with additional programs - but favorable tax policy would be nice]. Support the Iraq war and an assertive foreign policy, but less uniformly so than Enterprisers or Social Conservatives [I'm about as supportive of an assertive American-based foreign policy as one can be; what I don't support is UN-style multilateralism]. Back government involvement in a wide range of policy areas [again, some], from poverty assistance to protecting morality and regulating industry.

Who They Are
Predominately female (62%) and relatively young [I'll cop to being relatively young, but I'm all man, baby]; highest percentage of minority members of any Republican-leaning group (10% black, 12% Hispanic). Most (59%) have no more than a high school diploma [I've got a BBA in management and economics and a friggin' JD!]. They also are poorer than other Republican groups [again, I ain't making six figures, but I do alright]; nearly half (49%) have household incomes of less than $30,000 (about on par with Disadvantaged Democrats). Nearly half (47%) are parents of children living at home. 42% live in the South [I have lived in the South all my life].

Lifestyle Notes
Most (52%) attend religious services at least weekly [I do that]; nearly all describe religion as “very important” [ditto] in their lives. Gun ownership is lower (36%) than in other GOP groups [bzzzzzt ... WRONG! You mean to tell me that Pro-Government Conservatives are mostly found in the South, but they DON'T own guns? Right. An "Enterpriser" is more likely to own a gun than a Pro-Government Conservative? Right. This one is bogus.]. Just 14% trade stocks and bonds in the market; 39% say someone in their home has faced unemployment in the past year.

2004 Election
Bush 61%, Kerry 12%. Fully 21% said they didn’t vote in November.

Party ID
58% Republican, 40% Independent/No Preference, 2% Democrat (86% Rep/LeanRep)

Media Use
Most Pro-Government Conservatives consult traditional news sources, including newspapers (48%) and network TV (31%). No more or less engaged in politics than the national average [This one couldn't be more wrong. I NEVER watch network news or read MSM newspapers. NEVER. I get my TV news from FOX. I get radio news by listening to Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham. I get all other news from internet sources (usually FreeRepublic and Catholic news sources). The only newspaper I read is The National Catholic Register.].

2 Comments:

At 5/20/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I was also a "pro-government conservative" which is hogwash. I'm a subsidiarian local-gov states rights social conservative. I think social programs are a fine thing - administered on a local or state level where we can keep an eye on them.

But I guess there aren't any parties or categroeis for folks like me.

 
At 5/20/2005 10:22 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Kate,

I'm what you just said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger